Relaxing in front of a warm fire is the best way to unwind after a long exhausting day. However, before you can start enjoying time with your loved ones, you need to understand how to start a fire in a pit. There are several ways to start a fire in a pit, and you need to understand how to safely start the fire and make it last for a few hours to make cozy memories.
Lighting a fire may not be as hard as some people make it out to be. We firmly believe that you will learn how to light a fire in different ways after reading the article, and you will no need to use any lighter fluid to do it. You can use simple kindling and wood to get everything going.
How to Start a Fire in A Pit?
It is important to prevent concealed or unveiled places and oddly shaped tree limbs when determining an area for the outside campfire. Make sure you have a gap from the edges of your fireplace to any fuel facilities of at least 36 inches (or 3 feet). Please search the local fire security codes and stick to them. Not all regions agree to use an open flame, which applies to both wood and gas burning options. So, research beforehand and enjoy a safe and warm night.
1.The Traditional Firewood Method
Starting a fire with firewood is one of the easiest, traditional, and time-consuming ways to start a fire in your pit. Some people learn to light a fire from their parents or even during their time as a boy scout. This method does not require too many ingredients, and you can get a fire going any place you want. However, it would help if you still learned how to light a fire using traditional firewood without any issues.
The first thing you need to do is to gather as much dry firewood as you can.
Professionals recommend gathering as much firewood as possible to keep the fire going throughout the night. Moreover, it would be best to make sure that the firewood you gather is as dry as the practical. The drier firewood offers better flammable capabilities at your disposal. Here are some of the most common and practical firewood options you can use to get a fire going in your pit:
Tinder is one of the finest options you can use to get a fire going in your fire pit. For this purpose, you can gather:
- Pine Needles
- Cattail Fluff
- Cedar Bark Shavings
Moreover, you can also combine these options with cotton balls or dryer lint to further maximize the flammable capabilities.
Another amazing option is to use kindling to get your fire going. For this purpose, you can collect small sticks, wood splinters, and other twigs that are one inch in diameter. These will offer amazing fire for your pit.
Lastly, you can also collect firewood such as seasoned logs or well-cut slab wood. This may be hard to find in some areas and may also be expensive compared to other options on this list. However, this option can easily keep the fire going for hours throughout the night without any signs of slowing down.
Now that you have your firewood ready by your side, you can get started with lighting a fire in your pit.
- Firstly, you should start by piling all the firewood into a big pile in the middle of your fire pit. It would be best if you remembered that you have to make this pile in the middle of the pit so that the fire cannot escape the edges of the area and harm anyone around it. According to professionals, you should leave a gap of at least two to three feet between the pile and the edges of your pit.
- Once you have compiled a generous pile, you can place the kindling on the top of this pile. You can start by placing the smaller pieces and slowly moving your way up to the larger pieces on the top. By the time you are finished placing kindling over your pile, it should resemble a pyramid-like structure. Moreover, you should also have ample space in the middle of the kindling to light your fire.
- Now, you can use a long-stemmed match to start the fire. You need to remember to leave enough space in the middle of your kindling and insert a lit matchstick inside that space. Some people also use flints or fire sticks to light up the kindling. However, a matchstick will also do the job without any problems.
- You can keep on adding more pieces of kindling to get a nice fire going in your fire pit. Once you have enough fire in your kindling, you can place some firewood on top to entirely cover the pile.
This is an easier way to start a fire and is also considered the most traditional and convenient way to light a fire anywhere you want. Once you have started the fire, you can keep adding more wood throughout the night as long as you want.
However, if you are not an expert scout or have limited experience with fire, you should invest your money in getting fire gloves for log grabbers to add wood to your fire pit safely. This traditional method of starting a fire offers a great outdoor experience at your fingertips, and you will have more control over the fire without putting yourself into any harm.
2.The Pine Cone Fire Starter Method
If you want to get rid of any kindling, firewood, and tinder from your fire pit, this is the right option for you. Moreover, it is also less time-consuming and offers a quicker way to start a fire in your pit. You can easily find pine cone fire starters online or offline in your area.
In addition to this, you can also go out on a hunt and collect pine cones by yourself. However, purchasing these fire starters is an easier way that requires less effort and time on your part. If you live in an area rich in pine cones, you can collect plenty of options in your backyard and get the fire going.
Another thing you need to understand is that you need to find completely dry pine cones. This is why you cannot rely on freshly found pine cone options that are still wet due to the weather.
Similarly, you need to find dry pine cones that come in a broad shape with fanned-out scales. These will offer better flammable capabilities at your fingertips, and you can keep the fire burning for hours without any issues. There are also pine cone options that come with tighter scales. However, these will not offer as much fire as the former option.
Similarly, instead of going after the traditional kindling, you can use fatwood from split pine tree stumps. This is an amazing natural option that can start the fire and keep it burning for hours without requiring any lighter fluid on your end.
The reason behind this is that fatwood contains high amounts of high resin content. This content is quite flammable and helps start a fire without any fuel or lighter fluid. The harder this fatwood gets, the most flammable it becomes for your fire pit. Here are some of the steps you can take to start a fire this way.
- The first thing you need to do is to lay down plenty of pine cones in the middle of your fire pit. Ensure that you pile them together in a single group and keep them away from the edges of your fire pit. Since these are spherical objects, they can easily roll around and harm other people around them. Therefore, make sure you keep your pine cones in the middle of the fire pit and use a fatwood layer to surround these pine cones as a boundary.
- Now that you have piled the pine cones in the middle, you can use a long-stemmed lighter or a matchstick to light the fire. You can usually find a long-stemmed match stick at your local hardware store, where you can also find pine cones.
- Once the fire has started burning, you will need to continuously place different pieces of fatwood on top of this fire in a crisscross pattern. This way, you will evenly distribute the fire to the rest of the pine cones, and you will have no problems enjoying a warm and cozy evening with your friends.
- Once you have a steady fire going in your fire pit, all you have to do is place a traditional fire log or a well-cut slab would over the top of these pine cones. It will further add to the beauty and warmth of your fire, and you can keep on enjoying this fire throughout the night.
Once you have started the fire, you can keep on adding more fatwood, pine cones, and fire logs to the fire to keep the flames burning. We will recommend that you use long-arm fire gloves for your safety and protection. You need to use a log grabber to place more wood into the fire pit after you have started the fire.
One of the best things about this method is that you do not have to rely on any harsh chemicals or lighter fluid that will give off a chemical smell in the environment. These are completely natural ingredients that will offer a campfire-like experience for you and your loved ones.
3.The “Logs On Fire” Method
This is yet another amazing method to light a fire in your fire pit without having to put in too much effort or running around to collect the kindling of firewood. With this method, you can completely eliminate the need for tinder or kindling altogether.
With the advancements in modern technology, you can utilize a stainless steel burner pipe to start a fire in your fire pit quickly. What’s amazing about this technique is that you will constantly have access to a dedicated fuel line for your fire pit. This will allow you to stop worrying about fuel and start enjoying the fire with your loved ones.
Similarly, modern stainless steel burner pipes also offer a safety valve so that you can quickly control the fire in case of an accident. It also offers a simple on/off operation at your fingertips. The only thing that you require other than this stainless steel burner pipe is a log grate and logs. You can use these logs to cradle your firewood above the lighter. Here are some steps to help you get started with starting a fire in your fire pit using this method:
- The first thing you will need to do is to stack your firewood on top of the log grate that is connected to your stainless steel burner pipe. You will have to remember to keep the gas turned off during this step.
- Once you have stacked the firewood on top of your log grate, you can slowly turn the valve key found on the right-hand side of your burner pipe. Depending on your manufacturer, the ignition will vary. However, you can quickly learn how much gas you need to start a fire after a few tries. Once you turn on the valve key, the gas will start entering into the log lighter and will be evenly distributed through the drill potholes of your log grate.
- Now, all you have to do is to use a long-stemmed lighter or a matchstick to start the fire in the center of your device. You will have to make sure that you are standing at a safe distance from the center of the device and wearing protective gloves while starting the fire.
- Lastly, when you are done, you should shut down the gas and slowly remove the ashes from the center of your device. You will need to make sure that the gas is completely shut off before moving to handle your device.
Among the best benefits of using a “stainless steel burner pipe” is the amazing oxygen flow, a safe ignition method, and a cleaner burn without any harmful side effects of harsh chemicals. The majority of these options utilize a natural gas-fueled igniter.
Therefore, you will have to check with your local fire codes to ensure that you are allowed to use a gas-fueled igniter in the middle of your backyard. You can also take help from a professional to help you install this device for the first time, and you can keep on using this for years to come without any problems.
4.The Gas-Fueled System Method
If you do not like the sensitive smoke filling up the environment or you do not have access to firewood; no need to fret! There are still plenty of ways to start a fire in your fire pit. The modern gas-fueled system will allow you to enjoy a great fire in your outdoor space with the push of a button.
However, since different regions have different rules and regulations regarding gas-fueled systems, you will have to check with your local authorities to make sure you can keep this in your backyard.
One of the best things about using this technique is that you can call in a professional to install this system in your backyard, and you can keep on enjoying this system for years to come. Even if you want to expand upon the system, you can connect different pipes and expand the fire pit area depending on your requirements.
Modern ignition and burner systems come ready to use and fully assembled. This means that you will not have to waste any time assembling the product by yourself, and you can call a gas professional to install the device in your backyard. The installation process is quite simple, and the connection process with the local gas pipes is also as simple as possible.
You can start a fire with the push of a button, and the valve box will allow you to control the intensity and ferocity of the fire within seconds. Another amazing thing about these systems is that they are completely battery-operated. Therefore, you will not have to worry about driving up your electricity costs or bills. Moreover, all the different systems and control components come inside the valve box, making it easier for you to control the fire in your fire pit.
- You can press the control knob and start flowing the gas to the middle of your fire pit. The container that will be installed in the middle of your fire pit does not require any kindling or firewood. So, the gas flow will be more than enough to start a fire.
- Once you have started the flow of pilot gas into this container, you can press the ignition button, and it will automatically produce a spark and start the fire. You may have to keep pressing the spark button for a few seconds before the fire is completely started.
- Once you have started the fire in your fire pit, you can release the valve control knob to control the intensity of this fire. You can also turn the control knob counterclockwise and ignite the main burner that will offer a gentle campfire-like experience.
- Once the fire is up and running, you can easily control the flame height with the help of a control knob in the middle of your component box. An amazing thing about this system is that it will automatically turn off the gas flow if the fire goes out due to any reason.
- If you want to turn it off, you can rotate the knob to the off position. It will quickly turn off the gas flow, and you can enjoy an amazing experience with your friends.
Some important things that you must understand before choosing the appropriate system for your backyard are to choose the correct burner size and the capacity of the ignition system. There are different capacities and sizes in the market, and you can choose according to your fire pit.
If you end up with a smaller size, it will offer an unsafe back pressure of the natural gas. On the other hand, if you choose a larger size, it could end up offering weak flame height. This is why you need to determine the capacity and burner size before finalizing the decision.
5.The Electronic Remote Control Method
fIf you do not want to use gas-fueled systems or manual knob systems for your fire pit, there is yet another amazing way to start a fire in your backyard. You can use a completely electronic remote control ignition system to start a fire and enjoy a beautiful evening with your loved ones. You can still enjoy all the safety and convenience features of a gas-fueled system within an electronic one.
However, once again, you will have to check with your local fire safety codes regarding the gas features of these systems. The entire process is electronic and remote-controlled, but you will still have to use natural gas to start the fire.
Therefore, you need to check with your local authorities to make sure you can install a natural gas or propane system in your fire pit. Here are some of the steps to use an electronic remote control ignition system to start a fire in your backyard.
- Firstly, you can turn on the system using a remote control. You will find the on and off button on the top right of the remote control.
- An amazing feature of these systems is that there is an initial safety check before the system starts the flow of natural gas. It will indicate that it is safe to start the fire and also begin the flow of gas to the container that is installed in the middle of your fire pit.
- Within 5 seconds, the gas will make it to the middle of the container, and the system will automatically start a pilot flame. This will ignite the main burner, and you can start enjoying a cozy campfire-like atmosphere with your loved ones.
- You can use the same remote control to turn the system off, and it will make sure to cease the gas flow and turn off everything in a safe manner.
These systems come with a flame-sensing technology that continuously checks the flame status and voltage to ensure there are no accidents. This is one of the best systems in the market if you don’t want to use any kindling of firewood and quickly start the fire without putting in too much effort.
What Is the Bottom Line Here?
Starting a fire in your fire pit and keeping it going is not as difficult as it sounds. However, it does take practice, and you will need to employ safety precautions to get started. We have reviewed and listed the best ways to start a fire and keep it going throughout the night. However, the best method depends upon your preferences and requirements. You can go with natural firewood or use a modern gas-fueled system per your local fire safety codes. The choice is yours.